[mythtv-users] Need help with investigating intermittent loading of IR device

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 18:07:17 UTC 2013

Thanks to a resurgence of intermittent failures at boot-up time, I am
trying again to figure out what is going wrong, but I'm getting nowhere.
Any help would be appreciated in understanding how things happen so I can
figure out what doesn't happen and why.

I am still using MythBuntu 10.04, and this problem has now taken priority
over my attempts to migrate to MythBuntu 12.04 for the time being.

I have a USB IR transceiver from IguanaWorks which supports (up to) 4
independent transmitters and a receiver.  I have this tied to Comcast DTAs
and everything works (most of the time).

This involves the non-kernel version of LIRC, a driver for the IguanaWorks
transceiver, and a daemon from IguanaWorks, igdaemon.

Whether everything works or not, I can find no evidence of a driver loaded
to support the transceiver by looking at the output of "modprobe -l |
less", so maybe it is getting handled by some other means I don't know
about.  Any advice with that would be appreciated.

I have loaded the init script for launching igdaemon with echo commands to
report on states and variable values, and bumped up the verbosity setting
for it, but these have not (yet?) yielded any clues.

I have also loaded the init script for lirc with echo commands and that has
not helped yet, either.

I have even looked at the udev rule for the IguanaWorks transceiver, but
that didn't shed any light on the problem.

The only clue I have so far is that when there's a failure, the device file
/dev/iguanaIR/0 is missing, although the directory /dev/iguanaIR was
successfully created by the udev rule.

I have been unable to figure out what creates the device file and why it
sometimes fails to do so.

Any advice?

--
Craig.