[mythtv-users] Record from Comcast HD DTAs?

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 5 16:17:26 UTC 2013

On 10/05/2013 10:14 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2013 1:46 PM, "Peter Bennett (cats22)" <cats22 at comcast.net
> <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
> >
> > Comcast have published a detailed
> > Using this I believe that it would be possible to create a recorder for
> > mythtv to support them. This could allow recording of basic channels at
> > a reasonable cost in terms of equipment.

> The words DTCP-IP mean DRM.  Open source solutions need not apply...

I see that now. But if we are talking about basic level service, i.e.
broadcast channels, I wonder why Comcast would apply DRM to them. It is
not saving them from rolling out trucks. Are they going to collect a fee
from manufacturers? Are comcast being required to do this by the
broadcast channels or somebody else? It seems this interface replaces
the firewire which never had DRM and allows access to not only basic but
also encrypted cable channels, in fact all of the channels that the
DTA's can get. I thought Comcast were in favor of helping the users of
mythtv and similar systems.

Peter