[mythtv-users] VAAPI / OpenGL and myth 0.26 - black screen on playback

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Oct 3 14:11:39 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-01, at 3:25 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> In order to get vaapi to work, one must select the opengl painter in
> addition to selecting vaapi for video playback.
>
> MythFrontend -> Setup -> Appearance - Painter set to Auto or OpenGL (not Qt)
> MythFrontend -> Setup -> Video -> Playback -> (Screen 3/8) -> Select
> "VAAPI normal" profile

I’m using vaapi successfully on ivy bridge and have been since January but I track master so I have been running later display code than you however I can offer some observations.

You don’t need to upgrade the driver - I’m running the 1.0.17 and it’s fine. A little crash happy but you can watch programmes perfectly well. The frontend log in pastebin says you’re using ffmpeg for decoding and opengl for rendering. I’m using vaapi for decoding and vaapiopengl for rendering. Those should be the default in the “VAAPI Normal” profile that Gary pointed you to. Make them that way if they’re not. Also, you don’t mention if you have mesa installed but, like the others say, it’s required for myth.

As a test, can you get video playback with mplayer? That would point to the myth setup if mplayer works OK. My take is the best upgrade you can do is to move to myth 0.27. There were some improvements in vaapi playback that made a huge difference & that’s likely where your problem is.

- George