[mythtv-users] Weekly recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Oct 2 09:47:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 20:50:58 +1300, you wrote:

>>> I may have misunderstood the problem, or your answer, but I don't see
>>> how it's an issue for the TV guide data. Stations sometimes choose to
>>> broadcast a program multiple times per week, and the guide data reflects
>>> that correctly. (BTW I'm in Australia and use guide data from a scraper
>>> called Shepherd which is extremely good). The beauty of the Record
>>> Weekly rule is that it means I don't have to tell MythTV which
>>> occurrence of the program to record, as long as it does its best to
>>> record one of them without conflict. How can that now be achieved if
>>> there's no Record Weekly option (without setting up some arcane
>>> recording rule)?
>> [Mark] I'm on 0.27 and in mythweb just went Recording Schedule (custom)
>> and the options immediately there include 'Find and record one showing
>> each day' and 'Find and record one showing each week'. Will that achieve
>> the required outcome? There are a range of further options available under
>> advanced options, it seems it should be relatively straightforward to
>> create the necessary rule?
>>
>> I think it's unclear from the OP exactly what the failure mode is - is
>> duplicate detection failing or is it generic (or incorrect) program ID's
>> in the EPG? There have been a few previous posts on fine tuning duplicate
>> detection that may be relevant depending on the exact
>> problem.
>
>As the OP who asked the question in the first place, let me illustrate
>with an example.
>
>I have an STB - I can only record 1 program at a time from it (no such
>thing as multirec for this type of source). I want to record 2 programs
>each week that are on at the same day and time (but of course on different
>channels).
>
>With the "Record Weekly" function  up to 0.26 I could schedule both
>programs and one or other of the repeats (as originally described) would
>be picked for one or other of the programs. The following week it would do
>the right thing even if the sub-title and/or description were generic
>since that is the way the rule worked. I would get 1 copy of each program
>recorded per week - not 3 a day, not 2 plus a conflict.
>
>Now with 0.27, I'd like to do the same. Each time I set a rule to record a
>new series that shows weekly, I'd like to not be jumping through hoops
>with a simple IR remote trying to specify what day(s) and time brackets
>apply to the rule. I just want it recorded once a week along with the
>other 1 or 2 other programs on other channels that are showing at the same
>time (or more likely overlap).

It is actually OK to do from a remote.  Go to the program on the
guide.  Then use the Menu key, select Recording Options, then Custom
Edit.  Go to the Record button, hit OK.  Use the right arrow key until
it says "Record one showing every week".  Adjust any other settings on
that screen as usual.  Go to Save, hit OK.  A few more keystrokes than
before, and you need to know where you are going, but it works just
fine.