[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 01:24:52 UTC 2013

On 2 October 2013 06:10, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> I have a 6.1 setup at home where the side speakers are slightly in front
> of me (on the side), and only speaker #6 is actually behind me.

that's the way ...

> If my input is DTS 7.1 (I have a very small sample on a test DVD), then my rear
> speaker works and gives me "behind me" sounds. But most sources I have are 5.1
> and I just never got sound behind me on the 6th speaker.
> Turns out, my $1500 (at the time) Denon 3808 receiver cannot upmix 5.1
> into 6.1 or 7.1.
>
> Can mythtv or mplayer piped into mythtv do this in software?
> Or maybe even some fancy alsa setup?

with alsa software yes, provided you're willing to drop all digital passthrough.

myth only provide up to 5.1 upmixing.

There's no such thing as DTS 7.1; the maximum is with DTS ES and 6.1
.. If your amp is configured as 7.1 and you feed it DTS ES 6.1; then
the spec state that the two real channels should play the same mono
channel.

Usually, most receiver will have some DSP mode that would do it

Personally, I like listening to the way it was encoded, choices were
made by the sound engineer or director for a given reason, I trust
they know more than I do there...

so if it's 5.1, then that's the way it is...

Also, the rear channel shouldn't be heard as such, it should only be
"felt" , it provide an ambiance, and atmosphere...

IMHO, I would change your speaker location slightly if you desperate
to "hear" the surround info