[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 2 00:32:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> I have a 6.1 setup at home where the side speakers are slightly in front
> of me (on the side), and only speaker #6 is actually behind me.
>
> If my input is DTS 7.1 (I have a very small sample on a test DVD), then my rear
> speaker works and gives me "behind me" sounds. But most sources I have are 5.1
> and I just never got sound behind me on the 6th speaker.
> Turns out, my $1500 (at the time) Denon 3808 receiver cannot upmix 5.1
> into 6.1 or 7.1.
>
> Can mythtv or mplayer piped into mythtv do this in software?
> Or maybe even some fancy alsa setup?

I'm not aware of an existing solution for that.  (Not that that means much.)

How are you feeding the audio signal into your receiver?  As analog
2-channel stereo or a digital multichannel signal?

> DTS Neo:X can take stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source material and output up to
> 11.1 channels including front height and width channels.

So says the DTS marketing department...

If you're looking for satisfying surround sound, I'd steer away from
matrix encoded solutions.

Eric