[mythtv-users] Controlling STB with Lirc

Erik Hjertén erik at hjerten.com
Tue Oct 1 17:16:30 UTC 2013

aaron skrev 2013-10-01 00:30:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com
> <mailto:memoryguy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I'll try looking at it with a camera, as you suggested. Hadn't
>     occurred to me before to try that. I know that I did have it
>     turning my TV on and off when I first got the device, but that was
>     almost a year ago now... although it's just been sitting there
>     gathering dust since then... :)
>
>     Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try
>     tonight...
>

> I used my phone camera to look at the remote and the transmitter. I
> could see blinking on both when I asked them to transmit.
>
> On the remote I saw two lights, one on each side of the front of the
> remote.
>
> On the transmitter I saw two lights, next to each other on the front
> of the emitter.
>
> I assume it's normal, but I had never noticed two lights before when
> I've seen the IR lights blinking away (on other devices)
Ok, then we know it's transmitting. Are they blinking roughly at the
same rate?

> I shone my camera flash on the front of the Motorola box, but I
> couldn't find where the IR receiver is. I read somewhere that it's
> between the "record" light and the "menu" button. I tried slowly
> moving the emitter across the front of the box while it was sending
> repeatedly with SEND_START, but still it didn't recognize anything.
Did you test with different keys? Like power on/off, changing channel,
numbers etc? Did you also try at with the USB-UIRT further away?

> I tried re-recording in RAW mode. It seemed to have a little
> difficulty recording the buttons, but eventually it seemed to capture
> ... something... if I held down the button until it finally said, "got
> it".
>
> But, alas, when trying to transmit using the newly recorded codes,
> still no response from the box.
There is a -a switch for irrecord to "analyse" the RAW codes. I don't
really know what that does, but I recall reading something about that
being important. Grasping here...

When you run irrecord (not in RAW mode), does it seem to "get it" right
away or do you need to press the buttons for a long time? I had some
issues before with different remotes that didn't really worked right
away. Fiddling with parameters in the config file helped a bit then.

Fresh batteries in the remote?

I'm running out of ideas. Was it the vip2262 you have there? Google is
our friend...