[mythtv-users] Odd filespace issue

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Oct 1 14:49:37 UTC 2013

On 10/01/2013 10:02 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Just finally got the old girl running again last weekend with .26 (yeah,
> just in time for .27; I'll upgrade it this weekend), and aside from all
> the other problems I'm working, one really odd thing:
>
> I have watched it record to a file on one particular filesystem (XFS,
> freshly cleaned after replacing the mobo from a zorch), and while the file
> size goes up as expected, the free space on the volume as reported by
>
>    df -h
>
> doesn't change at *all*.  That seems very odd.  Can anyone think of a reason
> for that that I couldn't?  :-)  Checked the filename, and it was definitely
> the recording we thought it was supposed to me.

The -h option to df causes it to report sizes in human-readable form,
which would be tebibytes (to zero or one decimal place) on most MythTV
systems. Most MythTV recordings, though, are just a few gibibytes in
size, so they'll be somewhere between 1/10 and 1/1000 what it will take
to show up in the "df -h" output. For instance, if you've got 5TiB of
recording space, "df -h" will register a change of 0.1TiB, or roughly
100GiB; but a typical HD recording of 5GiB is just 1/20th of that value.
Thus, unless the free space happens to be at a point where a small
change will alter the way the rounding happens (round-down to round-up),
you won't see any changes after recording an hour of HD material on a
system with 5TiB of storage.