[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 01:13:44 UTC 2013

On 9/30/13 9:00 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, FC00::/7 ceased to exist?
> FD00::/8, aka ULA, are defined as being global in scope
> (although there is no officially sanctioned registry some
> unofficial ones do exist).  That they are usually filtered
> is a policy issue.  While collisions are possible, the
> likely-hood (if you use the recommended process) is very
> small.  Essentially it is unique.  And there are certainly
> those (especially those that do not like the RIR 5-oply)
> that have proposed routing them.
>
> FC00::/8 is "reserved", and has no assigned usage.
>
>> FEC0::/10 stopped working as well?
> Deprecated as of RFC3879.  Stop using them!
>

> However, since one can get a publicly routed /48
> (via a tunnel) for "free", many have no need of any
> of those crutches, regardless of the service providers
> IPv6 rollouts.
>
> Gary

True enough, though I have to admit, there are a *lot* of folks ignoring
the hell out of RFC3879.
Fortunately, they'll not be breaking anything but their own network over
time.

I did an experimental IPv6 here, for IPv4 equipment that is firmware
limited (like cameras with push), rather than capitalize on my dual
stack, I tried a pure IPv6, with a network object to proxy the traffic.
Uglier than the Gorgon sisters, but it worked.
Eventually, I'll hope to see a global IPv6 to all of my endpoints from
Verizon, but I'm not holding my breath for it. Then, I'll tear down the
experimental setup and put the new one into production once I get my
firewall configured on my C4506. Not the best around, but it's what I have.
I'll have to go pure double stack in house then, as the cameras and some
printers are rather aged and don't support IPv6.
And if hell and high water arrived, I'd be carrying my Phaser 8500DN and
LJ5M out with me.
They're just too sturdy and reliable to leave behind.   ;)

Hmm, here's a thought. Cheap network cameras like the Foscam units that
support IPv6. Both a dream and nightmare come true.
(I'm an information security type. I see both the good and the bad
immediately. I'll have to boast that Snort has yet to see traffic being
viewed from my surveillance cameras from outside of my network.*)

*(I use the cameras to keep an eye on my father, who suffers from dementia.)