[mythtv-users] Tuners in constant use, until I change the way backend starts

paul thannet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 09:36:28 UTC 2013

On 28/11/13 16:26, Michael A Weber wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Yianni wrote:
>

>> > Hi Thomas
>> >
>> > I did try as you suggest and logged in as mythtv. And no, it does
>> not work, all tuners are back to in use.
>> > So it seems this is permissions of some sort? Checked on the tuners
>> in the bin/dvb and compared them against a friends system.
>> > They both have the same rights.
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> I think the user running mythbackend must be a member of the video
>> group. Check the group membership for mythtv with:
>> $ groups mythtv
>>
>> If video isn't in the returned list, you can add it with:
>> sudo useradd -G video mythtv|
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Yianni.
>
> I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm wondering if it is a timing
> issue with starting of the backend versus a permissions issue.  With
> the Ceton cards, if the backend starts before the cards are completely
> active, we get the exact same thing:  tuners are in use.  I found this
> out and made some thread comments several months back, so maybe this
> will help you.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Mike

Hi Yanni
As you can see mythtv is in the group for video.

mythtv : mythtv dialout cdrom audio video

Mike

I did read of this issues, but mine still comes up with tuners busy
after I have stopped and restarted the backend. So I assume mine is not
the same issue? The only way I am getting mine to work is to log in as
me, then open a terminal and just type "mythbackend" and leave the
terminal window open. Not a major hardship I must admit, but would be
nice to survive an power out.

Paul.