[mythtv-users] QAM 256 tuning with Ceton Infinity 4 USB

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Nov 29 04:58:57 UTC 2013

QAM support in the Ceton was only done half heartedly. I got it working but
never bothered to implement scanning. Then at one point I think it might
have broke but I fixed it for someone who was relying on it. As far as I
know the code continues to work. However, that was for the PCIe version.
I'm not positive if anyone ever tried QAM on the USB model. In theory, it
should work the same, but there could be a glitch in the hardware (like
there was with the 6 tuner model, where we had to make one tiny change to
the code).

So, assuming that the code still works for QAM, and that it will work fine
on the USB model too, you can configure the channels by following the
instructions here (assuming you have everything else configured right, you
can just do steps 9, 10, and 11-B)
http://mythtvblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/ceton-inifinitv-4-in-mythtv-024-part-2.html

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Greg Tippitt <gtippitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Ceton Infinity 4 USB tuner that I'm trying to get working
> with my Digital Cable service from WOW.  I gave up on getting the
> CableCard to work after 6 weeks with techs from WOW coming by every
> few days to spend an hour swapping CableCards that were all
> mis-configured the same as the prior ones.  Since I don't get any
> premium channels, I decided to simply use the card in QAM mode.
>
> Between their tests of new CableCards, I found that I could remove the
> card and tune my QAM channels, included HD, using the Ceton's web
> interface and watch the RTP stream using VLC.  The  only thing I
> couldn't get working were the Basic Cable channels in SD that it says
> are NTSC modulation rather than QAM.   All of these that I wanted were
> also available in the 900 channel range in HD.  The only things I
> seemed to miss were some shopping and religion channels.
>
> I used MythTV for a year with an OTA antenna and understand it fairly
> well, but I can't get it to work with the Ceton tuner.  The Ceton
> doesn't have an option to scan for channel or to import a
> “channel.conf” file.  It simply says there was an error opening the
> card.  I can fetch the channel list from SchedulesDirect, but that
> doesn't fill out the transports.  Without the scan for channels or
> import of the conf file, the table “dtv_multiplex” doesn't seem to get
> completed.  I've tried filling out the table in SQL, but it still
> still isn't tuning correctly.
>
> Diagnostic log on the Ceton shows that MythTV is failing to get the
> proper Program ID for the multiplex and is always trying to tune
> Program number 65535 for the frequency.  I've tried all the normal
> fixes of deleting the capture cards and stuff.  The system was running
> Ubuntu 12.04, with Mythbuntu 27 repository.  I did a fresh install of
> Ubuntu 13.10, with Mythbuntu 27 repository, and a fresh MythTV
> database.  It still does the same thing.
>
> Does anyone have the Ceton tuners working with QAM?  I've tried
> following some of the HomeRun discussions, but I didn't find anything
> that helped me much.  I found some discussions about how QAM is
> worthless, which is true with most cable providers other than WOW, who
> still transmits non-encrypted content.  Was the QAM support for Ceton
> tuners removed at some point in development?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Greg

Ron Frazier