[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Nov 29 04:47:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Someone pointed out yesterday that since the FCC no longer requires
> Clear QAM, cablecos are phasing it out.  (What was the citation on that
> requirement, BTW?)
>
> 1) Does anyone know if WOW -- who have built a sort of reputation of
> getting their engineering 'right' as we define that term -- are going to
> do this as well?

I doubt WOW will touch this. A few years back, when WOW phased out their
analog, they attempted to follow suit with Comcast on encrypting basic and
requiring DTAs. They even got so far as to issue a bunch of DTAs to their
customers. However, before the cutoff date, WOW received a ton of customer
complaints about the matter. Unlike Comcast (who I'm sure received just as
many complaints), WOW actually decided to listen to their customers and
aborted the plans to encrypt basic.

> 2) Does it mean that you can't use tuners at all, and must go to STBs? Or
> just that you will have to have a Cablecard-capable tuner?

Cablecards work just fine with WOW. In fact, even better than with Comcast.
WOW even leaves their movie channels as Copy Free. Or at least they did 2
years ago when I briefly had every single channel...at the moment I only
have Stars, and it is Copy Free. See here:
http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php?id=15

--
Ron Frazier