[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 02:15:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Stephen P. Villano <
stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/13, 9:55 AM, Matthias Thyroff wrote:
>
> "Stephen P. Villano" <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com><stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>schrieb:
>>

>> On 11/28/13, 7:47 AM, Paul Clark wrote:

>>>  But you **MUST** protect MythWeb from bots - eg add passworded access
>>>>

>>> That's one of the Dragons. Well, more like a scorpion hiding in the
>>> grass!
>>

>>  Just an idea (as someone who had this happen to them) but shouldn't a
>> dev add a directive to mythweb to tell the bots not to crawl it?  Not sure
>> how these things work but there's a page here<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard>that seems to explain it.
>>

>>  The robots.txt file would stop a "law abiding" service like Google, it
>> wouldn't stop non-compliant spiders, malware or nefarious individuals.
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>

> Well I do not know what others think about this, but my Apache at home is
> purely private and serves web pages outside home only via SSL and password
> protected.
>

> --
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Mobiltelefon mit Kaiten Mail gesendet.

>  Mine has no exposure to the internet, it's all private network and well
> away from the DMZ.
> If I do put something onto the DMZ, it'd be a VPN connection only.
> Can't be too careful!

One other solution which is possibly less effort to set up is ssh port
forwarding.  Assuming you have ssh access to your myth box from the
internet:

$ ssh -L 8088:127.0.0.1:80 <your myth box>

Then go to http://localhost:8088/mythweb

If you don't put the "mythweb" on the end you'll be redirected to localhost
port 80, which will probably be a non-existant page, just add the :8088
back in.

Not as convenient if you regularly access mythweb from the internet, but
easy for occasional access.