[mythtv-users] Cablecard and mythtv (more)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 26 19:14:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
> If at some point the cable companies standardize this all better and make it
> easily accessible, we might go back, but until then...

I actually don't think it's so bad.  Most Comcast franchises are
following Comcast corporate policy, which is to mark everything other
than premiums and pay-per-view as copy-freely.  It seems like Verizon
is doing more or less the same.  If you happen to live somewhere where
one of these two providers is available, then using a cable card tuner
is usually pretty painless, and the cost of renting a cable card isn't
too bad.  Cable Card, as a technology, when implemented with sane
policies, seems to be a workable solution that can provide access to
content to subscribers without being overly burdensome to the user.

Now, Time Warner's policies, on the other hand, are another beast entirely.

It really all depends on where you happen to live.

Eric