[mythtv-users] Cablecard and mythtv (more)

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Tue Nov 26 17:04:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM, John Baab <rhpot1991 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I second the idea of calling the Cable Card specific number, the main
> > 800 doesn't do very well with Cable Cards at all.
>
> And while that is usually good advice, the OP has
> demonstrated (in a different thread) that this is not a
> CableCARD activation issue but a case of bad
> marking of the stream(s).  That is a different group
> within Comcast entirely.  And one has to work it
> entirely differently.  There is *nothing* that that
> CableCARD activation CSRs can do to change
> the stream marking.
>
> On a good day, and if you know exactly the right
> terms to use (which, I admit, may be limited to
> those with engineering knowledge of cable
> systems, and actually enjoy reading SCTE and
> CableLabs specs), the CableCARD CSRs might
> get you transferred to the appropriate group, but
> because it is a local franchise issue, it will be an
> exercise in long term "muzak on hold").
>
> And while making that investment in working
> with Comcast is (IMHO) the "right" thing to do,
> I can understand someone choosing to throw
> in the towel to just get things working.
>
> Gary

Many things worth having are hard to come by.  As I mentioned before, I was
persistent over a two year period to get the correct contact back when I
was recording off of Firewire.  CableCards weren't an option at that time.
 I never got anywhere calling the main number as many have stated.  I
ultimately got somewhere by calling the corporate offices in Philadelphia.
 They got me to the director of engineering of my local franchise/region.
 Both the corporate number and the local guy have been very helpful and
timely with responses.  I have kept this contact for years, and it has
helped me greatly over that time to correct any problems.  As Gary
mentioned, my actions also helped everyone in the greater Philadelphia
region of Comcast.  The first time I went through the lineup with the
engineer, there were well over 50 channels with incorrect markings.

My efforts were well worth it to me.  Otherwise I wouldn't be using MythTV,
and my cable bill would be about $80 a month more than it is now.

-Tom