[mythtv-users] very slow youtube - please help

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Nov 26 10:44:31 UTC 2013

On 11/26/13 10:33, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 10:15 AM, Petr Stehlik wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> ever since upgrading from Mythbuntu 11.x to 12.04 I have issues with
>> unusable Youtube replay on my Atom 1.6 GHz with NVIDIA ION on FullHD TV.
>> Yet Google Chrome replays the same video on the same hardware almost
>> perfectly. Is Flash in Chrome using HW acceleration? Could the internal
>> web browser in MythTV use HW acceleration for its flash.so as well?
>>
>> I have prepared a video showing my TV set trying to play a video first
>> using Google Chrome and then via MythTV internal web browser. You can
>> see (and hear, since there is major video-behind-audio problem) the
>> issue here:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5x2MQSfdg
>>
>> It'd be great if you with similar HW could try out the same song and
>> tell me if it works better for you. I suspect the Qt's (KHTML?) browser
>> to miss something simple to enable the HW acceleration for flash...
>>

> The plugin does what it does.  We can't control Flash, and all we can do
> is enable or disable plugins.  So if Flash is working in the browser,
> that's as much as we can do for it.  From there, it's up to the site (to
> enable the use of VDPAU acceleration) and the plugin (to use it).

Is it possible Chrome is going one step further, and automatically
enabling HTML5 on Youtube for you, completely bypassing Flash?
MythBrowser does have HTML5 video support, and there was some modified
version of the Youtube grabber that used it, but it was too unreliable
to commit last time I tried it.