[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 26 14:53:04 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 06:34 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:08:55 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> What is not solved is the comunication problem between frontends and the
>> backend (where, sporadically, but then consistently every 10 seconds or
>> so, I get a huge popup saying "mythcontext: Backend is online" when I am
>> in the recordings screen or also when I watch a recording... see archive
>> for a more detailed description:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/555885?search_string=mythcontext;#555885
>> ) That problem went away for about 24 hours after cleaning up my
>> channels, purging the program table, re-running mythfilldatabase
>> (thereby reducing the mythconverg database from 2GB to <400MB), and is
>> back now. I would bet that this problem is not due to the channels list.
>
> The most likely cause of this problem is communication errors between
> the frontends and the backend.  When you had 100% CPU, there was a
> reasonable likelihood that the backend was not responding in time and
> the frontends were detecting that.  Since the 100% CPU problem seems
> to be fixed now, I would suggest that you start checking out your
> ethernet (or is it WiFi) traffic levels.  It is possible for something
> else other than MythTV to be using too much of the bandwidth and
> preventing timely access from the frontends to the backend.

Or you have a bad ethernet cable,
Or the NIC +/- socket in your mythbox is dieing. I am now on the third
NIC on my box. The motherboard mounted socket and/or the chipset died. I
changed to a USB dongle which was a little flakey ( cheap +/- weird
chipset +/- bad module, take your pick) and now have a PCI card setup.

As the ad says, Relief at last.

On another tack, if you suffer from the odd 100% CPU lockup, and you
have made changes to your setup wrt backend addresses, then you should
check the settings table for duplicate entries or errors. Do:

select * from settings where value like "%IP%":

You should see values for BackendServerIP, BackendServerIP6 and
MasterServerIP. Make sure that they are correct. A hostname of 'NULL' is
guaranteed to be problematic. And could be the cause of a CPU freeze.
(note "could")

Note that an IP of 127.0.0.1 is fine for a combined BE/FE machine, but
you cannot use mythweb from outside the box with that setting. You want
a 192.168.x.x address (or other defined private address), preferably
listed in /etc/hosts with a name, in all your boxen, and set as static
served DHCP in your router.

If you then want to charge into that part of the map marked 'Here be
Dragons', you can add port forwarding to your router for external access
for mythweb, and even VPN, to access and watch your content from
whereever you are.
Damn I love mythtv!

Geoff

--