[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Nov 25 23:34:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:08:55 +0100, you wrote:

>What is not solved is the comunication problem between frontends and the
>backend (where, sporadically, but then consistently every 10 seconds or
>so, I get a huge popup saying "mythcontext: Backend is online" when I am
>in the recordings screen or also when I watch a recording... see archive
>for a more detailed description:
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/555885?search_string=mythcontext;#555885
>) That problem went away for about 24 hours after cleaning up my
>channels, purging the program table, re-running mythfilldatabase
>(thereby reducing the mythconverg database from 2GB to <400MB), and is
>back now. I would bet that this problem is not due to the channels list.

The most likely cause of this problem is communication errors between
the frontends and the backend.  When you had 100% CPU, there was a
reasonable likelihood that the backend was not responding in time and
the frontends were detecting that.  Since the 100% CPU problem seems
to be fixed now, I would suggest that you start checking out your
ethernet (or is it WiFi) traffic levels.  It is possible for something
else other than MythTV to be using too much of the bandwidth and
preventing timely access from the frontends to the backend.