[mythtv-users] Packet sniffing consumer electronic devices

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:00:14 UTC 2013

On 11/25/13 2:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They were using USB flash drives to cross security domains, effectively
>> erasing one protective purpose of the air gap.
> The airgap has to come with (preferably) Marine(*) guards,
> who would enforce the restrictions about USB flash drives.
>
> Gary
>
> (*) Marines are serious about being Marines,
> and following their orders.

I'm retired Army. I was contracting for the Army, NETCOM to be specific.
But, while Army, some of my favorite drinking buddies were Marines.  :)

In the midst of that attack, the Undersecretary of Defense ordered all
USB mass storage shut down.
NETCOM units at the theater level refused to comply, saying "We're not
going to force our customers into compliance".
Remembering the regulations, I recalled that installation computers
"belong" to the installation commander.
So, I double wrapped a printout of the order, placarded it properly, put
it into an approved case and walked it to the installation commander for
his decision. Fortunately, I also had a courier card to do such things.
His decision was, "Shut that shit off".
I returned to my desk, shredded the document, checked that his digitally
signed authorization was in my mailbox, then shot off a couple of
exception to policy for some systems requiring USB hard drives that were
mission essential that I had prepared ahead of time, shut down the rest.
Zero infections on my base.  :)
I'd get an antivirus warning on occasion, as a "closet computer" came
online, booted by a transient service member, who dutifully plugged in
forbidden a USB flash drive on occasion, those computers got blocked and
had to be formatted and reloaded, per installation policy.

Work a little harder, perform due diligence and follow directives, life
is easy.
Don't do so, get crushing overtime, explain why you didn't do what you
were supposed to do, overall not a lot of fun.