[mythtv-users] Packet sniffing consumer electronic devices

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 19:06:16 UTC 2013

On 11/25/13 1:39 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>> No, a *really* paranoid type will configure the firewall on their edge
>> router as default-deny *in both directions*.
> Airgap.  It is the only way to be sure :-)

I remember saying those very words in the middle of the 2008 cyberattack
on the US DoD.
As well as calling the man who discovered the malware a liar when he
insisted that the antivirus couldn't detect it, when he claimed to be
using the same version and antivirus definitions I was using.

They were using USB flash drives to cross security domains, effectively
erasing one protective purpose of the air gap.

Fortunately, that deficit in practice and some configuration
non-compliance was fixed.

Me? My installation was complaint with baseline configuration, software
configuration and antivirus configuration and definition updates. I
didn't have to work one second of OT, as we remained uninfected.
Somehow, I was "the cowboy" and they were the "good guys".
Oh, wait. They got tons of billable hours of OT, we didn't.