[mythtv-users] Systemd and insanity

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 18:58:10 UTC 2013

On 11/25/13 1:24 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]
Been there, done that. Still, very little that I currently own is on any
form of warranty. That said, when something was in warranty and a tech
could not fix it, I have done so and had the warranty still cover the
cost of components after much argument. (Largely on principle than on
cost, though I was tempted to go for labor as well at times.)
>> Of course, then I recall reiserfs and its inventor. With the fs nearly
>> being abandoned over one domestic murder case...
>> True enough. See the reiserfs bit, though there were more than one or
>> two people developing it when the "controversy" began. I never *did*
>> figure out what the brouhaha was about, one man commits a crime, an
>> entire technology (FS) is tainted?!
> Quite so.  It was the default for a couple 10.x SUSE releases, IIRC,
> which caused some excitement.  And the issue was bus factor; not enough
> people understood it.  JFS has the same problem, I gather, and XFS is
> uncomfortably close.
I remember. That was shortly before Novell bought SuSE and screwed it
up. When Novell started acting like they thought they were RedHat, I
dropped the distro. Used to love that beast!
> I used to be able to use fsdb myself on, say, ext2 and older FSen.  Not
> today...

>>> And had been driven that way by having to read sendmail.cf.
>> Same here. Excuse me as a hop around the room, making monkey hoots for
>> a bit... ;)
> Be glad you didn't have to edit sendmail.cf in TECO.  :-)
If I could manage with ed and with dos, edlin, I suspect I'd survive.
After sufficient grumbling and spilled coffee.  ;)

> Cheers,
> -- jra

-Microsoft Windows. Brought to you by the same people who brought you edlin.
And stole a certain drive compression program and was promptly caught...