[mythtv-users] Time Warner Junking STB's

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 25 18:28:15 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stephen P. Villano" <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>

> At home, I have a C4506 as my core switch, easy to mirror traffic from
> a port or a range of ports.

Braggart.

(For those not playing the home game, the 4506 is a 10RU modular
switch, good for close to 500 GigE ports.  I had one as the core
switch at Get Motivated Seminars, serving well over 300 ports.)

> We also had inline sensors, which performed traffic analysis for certain
> undesired types of traffic. Actually, several layers of the things, some
> at our location, others at the primary links before traffic was
> filtered as either local or internet.
> To say that the problem could be complicated is to be mild.

Nicely put.

> In that particular network, we also used RSPAN and ERSPAN (different
> types of remote mirroring unique to Cisco (their mirroring is called
> SPAN). I'll not go into problems one can cause oneself if one unwisely
> mirrors certain ports, due to incompatibilities with certain switching
> protocols.

As long as you don't *loop* the ports... :-}

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14