[mythtv-users] Special needs dad with MythTV hardware questions

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Nov 24 00:17:42 UTC 2013

On 23/11/2013 6:28 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> +1. I had no real Ubuntu or equivalent experience when I started so my setup time
>> would not be comparable to your setup time, but even with everything setup and
>> running 'smoothly' I do 5-10hrs week on Myth.
> 5-10hrs/wk?  What are you doing that takes that long?  (Not counting
> chatting on this list..)
>
> Maintaining a MythTV system can take as much time as you want it to
> especially if you get into development, but there seem to be plenty of
> people who manage to get the basic system up and running and stable
> with minimal (but not zero) time investment.  5hrs/wk sounds very much
> on the high side to me.
>
> Eric
I have to side with Eric on this one. I spend a couple hours a week
tinkering with my system (ok, maybe a few extra hours this week as I
just installed a new antenna/mast on my roof (in a snow storm at that)
but those hours are spent because I want to, as a hobby, not because I
need to.

I spend most of my days on the road, so when I'm home for a day I take a
quick check of the health of my systems, maybe do an update ( I track
master and generally update every other week, or earlier if some of the
commits seem interesting (BTW: love the updates to the guide, much more
responsive) ).  Having said that, I don't have to update all the time
that is a personal choice on my part. The few times the system does make
a mistake, its normally operator error, or if not, then one of my
housekeeping scripts catches the error and either corrects it (normally
simply resetting the hardware in question).

A couple weeks ago, my MBE's motherboard died (6+ years 24/7 uptime, so
I got my money out of it) and the wife had to live with the satellite's
pvr for a couple days... she was virtually begging me to get myth fixed.

At the end of the day, its what you make of it. My wife treats it like
an appliance, so my hat's off to the dev's.  Now, I don't use the
mythgame at all, so I can't comment on that side of things.

Cheers,

Andrew.