[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 00:14:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 2:55 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>> Wants=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device
>>> After=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device
>>>
>>> Where on earth do the names come from?
>>
>> Well apart from the 200, it seems reasonably self explanatory - it is
>> looking for a device which created a device node
>>
>> /dev/dvb/adapter/frontend0
>>
>> Although why a simpler syntax like
>>
>> wantsdev(or wantsfile)=/dev/svb/adapter/frontend0
>>
>> couldn't be adopted I have no idea.
>>
>> I thought the 200 might be a device node number, but it doesn't seem to be.
>
> Perhaps if one reads and follows the entire systemd wiki article,
> with the strong suggestion to use persistent device names, and
> followed that udev wiki article link which has (as examples) specifying
> the 200 and 300 names to avoid conflict, it becomes obvious.
> The Wants (and After), along with the udev TAG+="systemd"
> are all parts of the systemd solution.  There are things to like,
> and dislike, about systemd, but that it is the future in many distros
> is not really in dispute.  Like many parts of the entire ecosystem,
> udev and systemd are not necessarily for the faint of heart,
> and some knowledge of how to replace moving parts on your
> distro of choice is needed.
>
> If one finds the wiki documentation lacking, my suggestion
> is for one to improve it.  That is the advantage of a wiki.

Thing is, I am not even particularly interested until I need to make
changes to my own system (and i don't need to right now). I was just
trying to make sense of the previous poster's question. At some stage
when I feel the need to fill my head with more stuff I'll read the
article and be educated :)