[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Nov 23 16:04:10 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>

> is not really in dispute. Like many parts of the entire ecosystem,
> udev and systemd are not necessarily for the faint of heart,
> and some knowledge of how to replace moving parts on your
> distro of choice is needed.

Stipulated.

But udev was fixing a problem people actually, y'know, had.  You *got*
something for the *sharp* increase in complexity (and as a 30 year sysadmin,
I can tell you: OS design/implementation complexity is not just your enemy,
it is a *super villian*).

I have yet to be convinced that the order of magnitude -- or possibly two --
increase in complexity forced upon you by systemd... *at boot time*, exactly
the time when you *do not need any extra problems*, is really justified by
what you get.

Cheers,
-- jra

--