[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 13:55:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>> Wants=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device
>> After=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device
>>
>> Where on earth do the names come from?
>
> Well apart from the 200, it seems reasonably self explanatory - it is
> looking for a device which created a device node
>
> /dev/dvb/adapter/frontend0
>
> Although why a simpler syntax like
>
> wantsdev(or wantsfile)=/dev/svb/adapter/frontend0
>
> couldn't be adopted I have no idea.
>
> I thought the 200 might be a device node number, but it doesn't seem to be.

Perhaps if one reads and follows the entire systemd wiki article,
with the strong suggestion to use persistent device names, and
followed that udev wiki article link which has (as examples) specifying
the 200 and 300 names to avoid conflict, it becomes obvious.
The Wants (and After), along with the udev TAG+="systemd"
are all parts of the systemd solution.  There are things to like,
and dislike, about systemd, but that it is the future in many distros
is not really in dispute.  Like many parts of the entire ecosystem,
udev and systemd are not necessarily for the faint of heart,
and some knowledge of how to replace moving parts on your
distro of choice is needed.

If one finds the wiki documentation lacking, my suggestion
is for one to improve it.  That is the advantage of a wiki.