[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 06:31:43 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 10:16 PM, Matthias Thyroff wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> sounds sad, after 7 years and 5 months running, with 1 year 8 months
> recorded (I hope I havent watched that much TV, actually!), now it seems
> that I have to start my backend from scratch, my backend is giving my
> too much pain, and that started directly after updating to 0.27
>
> As reported earlier on this list (with more information than I want to
> repeat here), there is the problem with the "mythcontext:backend is
> online" messages, which indicate that the remote frontend is loosing the
> contact to the backend appearently (but normally, no "is the backend
> started?" messages). I thought this might be because of the xmltv data,
> but I do not think that anymore, I do not know.

Don't give up just yet.

I'm not sure why, but bug #11873 [1] can also have slightly different
symptoms than described in the bug report, such as those you mention.

Have you set a proxy in the environment in which the frontend runs? If
so, try unsetting it. That is:

1. close the frontend
2. open a terminal and type 'unset http_proxy'
3. from that same terminal, start the frontend (by typing 'mythfrontend')

If you now do not have connection issues to the backend then you need to
make the solution permanent. On my system this was achieved by adding
'unset http_proxy' to ~frontend/.profile (i.e. the file named '.profile'
in the home directory of the user named 'frontend', which on my system
is the user that runs mythfrontend).

[1] http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11873

Jan