[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 05:08:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
> On 21/11/13 20:33, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking for an RPM based distro that packages myth, so that
>> I can dump OpenSUSE, which has acquired a bad case of Drug-Resistant
>> Poettering Disease, and I see that Arch Linux fits both criteria.
>>
>> Anyone here using that build?  Did they do the job correctly?  Which
>> WM do you use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>>
> Jay,
>
> I switch with my home server to Arch few years ago.
> Before I was on KnoppMyth, LinHES and Debian.
> Switch to Arch was best decision I took regarding my home server.
>
> Pros (my perception):
> -KISS (keep it simple) concept. Once You discover how they do things -
> You'll love it. Then by comparison, You will see how simple things can be
> complicated (Ubuntu wins here IMHO).
> -best on earth package managing system.
> -EVERYTHING is under Your control. You have OS having EXACTLY what You want
> and absolutely not more. No any bloat included by OS packagers to keep happy
> everybody but not needed by You.
> -ABS makes building Your packages simplest ever. Try and You will see beauty
> (simplicity) of it.
>
> Cons:
> -rolling-release. Many ppl see this as advantage. It is mater of taste - or,
> if You prefer, mater of Your preferences. If You prefer stability over
> freshness(*) then simply take strategy to not use this advantage. If You
> want quickly and regularly benefit from constantly increasing quality of
> GNU&Linux then rolling-release becomes another advantage of Arch.
> -setup: You have to build Your system Yourself (I mean installing all
> desired packages).

Anyone who wants a quick play is well advised to try Bridge Linux, Arch with a
desktop. I reckon this inside VirtualBox runs faster than the base
Mint Linux I am running it on.
http://millertechnologies.net/bridge.html

> Pacman does great job with dependencies management so
> this is in fact quite easy. Plus is v.good learning aspect. Arch wiki is
> best I ever seen so this learning is pleasure - not pain.

Often google leads to the arch wiki, even if you aren't using arch
they have good info.

> I would say: Arch for me is sum of best aspects of Gentoo and Debian without
> negative aspects of both.

I was going to say you sounded like me prosletizing gentoo some years back!