[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Fri Nov 22 22:21:55 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Thyroff
>I get messages regarding EIT scans when the backend is not behaving well,
>maybe a hint? But I always got them, in all versions, the backend was
>running fine anyway.

>I wonder if I should start from scratch or maybe start cleaning up manually
>first. I appreciate any helping hand/hint.

1) How often does it happen/how easy is it to reproduce?

2) What process is the one that causes the 100% CPU load on the backend?

Recently I found that I had a slight misconfiguration, and a mythcommflag
was trying to do it over the network, rather than local disk. Caused all
systems to go slow.
Double check your  interface speeds too, turned out that my problem was
compounded by one of my Gb interfaces going half duplex

Don't know how the ubuntu systems configure their SQL databases, but if it
is done right 2GB should be bad for what myth wants to do.

If it is easy to reproduce, then I would unfortunately recommend taking a
backup of the database, and clearing it. Personally I suspect that there
might be an issue with the channel list. If you want to go half-way, I would
go to the mythtv-setup and clear all the channels, then re-scan. EIT can
issues on satelite are common, they move the channels so frequently,
however, sometimes they also tweak channels which are good and are recorded
from (Channel 4 gave me a headache). HOWEVER, this might cause schedules
which are locked to specific channels to be need to be reset.
On my system, when I added a secondary channel source part-way through the
0.27 development cycle, recording schedules which were set to record on "BBC
1" would only record on the original channel source, not the added ones.

I could also be that the tuner card might be getting flakey..... difficult
to diagnose that on a 'production' home setup with non-hotplug cards.