[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Nov 22 17:11:16 UTC 2013

On 22/11/13 05:26, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Oh bloody hell.
>
> systemd is a wonderous fix for a problem that *almost nobody actually had*,
> complicating the most important part of system operations, the boot
> sequence, by at least an order of magnitude, if not two.
Well - it depends what problem You want to solve.
If Your problem is too complicated init subsystem - then systemd isn't
for You.
If You want however:
1.speed-up boot process.
2.save resources by starting things You need (not You think You will need).
3.have multiple discrete daemons strictly defined start/stop/restart
dependencies. Also whole system should behave correctly for unexpected
things (daemon crash/hang). I mean functionally restore to expected
state keeping in mind strictly defined order, etc.
4.correctly control/limit/schedule resources for multiple-forking daemons.

then systemd is for You.

There is no free lunch. Simple SysV init is simple but not fulfills any
of above 4 points.
Q is then what solution offers max. simplicity*features product.
It looks like industry thinks systemd maxes here.

Ad(1): My server boot time (end of POST to login prompt) is 2.8sec.
Ad(2): think of having headless server where ssh/telnet/ftp/Xorg/etc are
starting only when ssh/telnet/ftp/VNC client touches this server.
Ad(3): I have chain of 4 daemons required by mythbackend. I'm asking
only for start be. Rest is done automatically by systemd. Also for crashes!
Ad(4): My HTTP server can lauch 10+ CGI sessions. When HTTPd dies - with
SysV You are left with all CGI zombies. When You have systemd - cgroup
will allow You keep track (resources/state) of given daemon and it's ALL
childs/helpers/forks/etc.

All this is just basics of systemd....

> I can't *fathom* why release configuration managers for so many
> distributions have been seduced into switching to it.  It's... really
> irritating.
Oh well. YMMV but there is really good (and many) reasons for this.....

br