[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Nov 22 04:30:19 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "George Galt" <george.galt at gmail.com>

> I guess I'm not entirely clear on what you are looking for. Why are you
> focused on the package management system?

RPM is simply what I'm accustomed to; I have 15 years experience dealing
with its foibles.

>                                             Each packaging format -- RPM,
> DEB, or Arch's tar.xz format -- has its own peculiarities, strengths and
> weaknesses. I would probably focus more on what you are looking to get
> out of the distro in toto. Arch is a wonderful distro, but you do have to
> keep an eye on things and cannot just blindly update. The Arch maintainers
> assume you are paying attention and understand what's going on. Having
> said that, I get immense satisfaction out of my Arch systems. I am always
> learning something new from Arch, and the systems themselves seem much
> snappier than my Fedora-based systems. Fedora is easier to maintain,
> however.

I'm not prone to update at random, so that part wouldn't bother me.

> I'd figure out what you want out of your system and go from there rather
> than worry about the package manager.

I *want* a system that boots using sysVinit, but it's becoming clearer
and clearer that I can no longer have that.  So I'm apparently going to
have to let loose of *thirty* years of knowing how to deal with the
boot cycle, and go [expletive deleted] Lennart Poettering's [expletive
deleted].

<sigh>

Cheers,
-- jra