[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Nov 21 19:30:25 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>

> It should be noted that as of the end of the year
> the "analog sunset" in AACS takes effect, meaning
> that Blu Ray players can no longer be made with
> component outputs (HDMI & HDCP only). Most
> players available in the past few months no longer
> have component so that they can continue to be
> manufactured for a few years.

Good thing my Sony is older, since my 64" Pioneer Elite
*has no HDCP*, ain't it then?  :-)

> Since the AACS analog sunset will be declared a
> success (by those with the power of the advertisement),
> the MPAA (who take the long view) will almost
> certainly revise and extend their original request which
> was only partially granted by the FCC. It is likely that
> the MSOs will agree (since the STBs would be
> cheaper without component, and they will be able to
> show that the DTAs, which do not have component
> out, have not harmed the consumer, since the FCC
> allowed them to not include component out, and the
> FCC is always right (as long as they agree with the
> petitioner)). Give it about a year so that one can take
> the information and find consulting firms that will draw
> the conclusions that are desired (by those that are
> paying the bill).

Perhaps, but I've been hearing things that make the new Comissioner
sound less... anti-consumer? Perhaps things will tack a bit.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14