[mythtv-users] How to start MythTV Backend?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Nov 21 04:52:35 UTC 2013

On 20/11/2013, at 6:44 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> You're right, firmware was missing.
>> In "Capture Card Setup", the field DVB device is now filled with "/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0",
>> but in FrontendID, I still have an error:
>> "Could not get card ... [] Subtype: Unknown error".
>>
>> -- Damian --
>
> Now I'm moving outside my area of expertise...  Looking at
>
> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/help-failing-get-mythtv-up-running-15031/
>
> (which is worth a read),  it *might* be a permissions problem on the /dev/dvb ... directories.   The solution in the case above was to add mythtv to the video group.

> If anybody can give me words of wisdom here I'd appreciate it lots:

I had hoped to get wise words. Someone must be fighting with systemd!

From the wiki http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

Wants=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter200-frontend0.device

Where on earth do the names come from?
Why would the BACKEND want a FRONTEND device (there is none, the frontends are remote)?

ie
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules

#
# Create systemd device units for capture devices
#
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"

Thanks
James