[mythtv-users] Question on Recordings background

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 21 04:26:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 21:57:12 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a question about the themes after a .26 to .27 upgrade.
>
>When I ran version .26 the default theme had a blue background when
>looking at recorded shows. Now with the upgrade to .27 it shows a
>preview pic of the show. I would like to get back to the blue background
>because its easier on the eyes. Is there a setting Im not seeing to do this?

That is downloaded artwork.  You need to turn off the automatic
metadata downloading.

First, you need to be on 0.27-fixes and updated to the latest version
as there was a bug in the metadata download in early 0.27 versions
that meant it was being downloaded even when the options for it were
off.

Next you need to turn off daily metadata updating.  Go to Setup >
Artwork and Data Sources and turn off the option "Perform daily
updates of recording artwork".

Finally, you need to adjust your recording rules.  Go to Setup >
Manage Recordings > Recording Rules and find the "Default (Template)"
rule and in its Post Processing options, turn off the "Automatically
Look Up Metadata" option.  Do the same in any other template rule you
have created for yourself.  Then you may have to do the same for all
of your existing recording rules - check a few to see if they have
that option on.  If they do, and you want to turn that option off in
all of them, the only easy way I know is direct access to the rules
via SQL commands.  If you are comfortable with doing SQL on your
database (dangerous!), let me know if you want instructions on how to
do that.

All of that will prevent any new downloads of metadata, but you still
need to get rid of all the old metadata or it will still be displayed
for the recordings that have it.  I have not found any options in
MythTV to do that, so I did it manually.

If you are running Mythbuntu and are using the default settings for
the storage groups for the metadata, it will be stored in:

  /var/lib/mythtv/fanart/
  /var/lib/mythtv/coverart/
  /var/lib/mythtv/banners/

Delete everything in those directories.  If you have moved those
storage groups, you will have to run mythtv-setup (or use SQL) to see
where you put them.

That still leaves all the entries for the metadata in the database
table recordedartwork, but that should not cause any problems as all
the files referenced there will be gone.  I just used an SQL command
to delete all the records from the recordedartwork table.  Again, if
you are OK with doing SQL on your database, let me know if you want
instructions.

>Also, You used to be able to do a "backwards browse" in the recorded
>shows list. What I mean is you could go backwards thru the alphabet to
>get to a show (i.e. two and a half friends). But now I have to start at
>'A' and spend alot of time getting to a show starting in T or similar.
>Any way to fix this?

I believe it would be possible to do some custom editing on the theme
to change this.  I also preferred how it used to work in MythCenter
Wide in 0.26, but I have not looked doing any changes yet.