[mythtv-users] Log file splitting

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 22:53:57 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 10:33 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Does anyone have a pointer to any discussions that might have taken
> place while I wasn't looking about having the text log files in
> /var/log/mythtv be names by starting date, instead of simply extending
> them and letting logrotate do so if needed?
>
> There are several use cases that I've layered on top of the logs that
> break rather badly because the file isn't simply one continuous file,
> and I'd like to understand how the decision was taken.

No idea where to find discussions, other than searching this list's
archives.

The choice of log file output is yours to make. Sounds like you start
your backend with --logpath <someDirectory> and so your log names look
like: mythbackend.20131120223320.3372.log.

That's my preference and if you only need to access the currently active
log, then something like this works well:

     tailf `ls -t /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.*.log|head -1`

If you do --syslog local7, for example, the output ends up in syslog. Or,
you can see/use http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration
to put the MythTV files elsewhere (like /var/log/mythtv.)

I haven't tried it, but with 0.27 *and* mythlogserver off, you'd likely
want the 0.25 solution to the Wiki rather than the 0.2[67] one.

--
Bill