[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 20:42:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Right.  What I was referring to was general, widespread use of SOC on
> normal cable channels, the way we're seeing the disappearance of
> clear-QAM now.

Well, the limited SOC granted is generally considered
a failure (AFAIK there was little to no take-up on the first
run movie idea).  The way many consumers obtain
content has changed.

It should be noted that as of the end of the year
the "analog sunset" in AACS takes effect, meaning
that Blu Ray players can no longer be made with
component outputs (HDMI & HDCP only).  Most
players available in the past few months no longer
have component so that they can continue to be
manufactured for a few years.

Since the AACS analog sunset will be declared a
success (by those with the power of the advertisement),
the MPAA (who take the long view) will almost
certainly revise and extend their original request which
was only partially granted by the FCC.  It is likely that
the MSOs will agree (since the STBs would be
cheaper without component, and they will be able to
show that the DTAs, which do not have component
out, have not harmed the consumer, since the FCC
allowed them to not include component out, and the
FCC is always right (as long as they agree with the
petitioner)).  Give it about a year so that one can take
the information and find consulting firms that will draw
the conclusions that are desired (by those that are
paying the bill).

Gary