[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Nov 20 20:22:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure it does. Not having moved to digital tuners yet, though,
> > that answer is insufficiently informative for me.
>
> While some MSOs have only performed a PAR (Partial
> Analog Reclamation), almost all are planning to eliminate
> all analog channels (well, leaving, usually an analog
> "barker" channel (channel 2) which says "You need a STB").
> There are many MSOs that now only provide digital
> channels. I think WOW is among those only offering
> digital (I know Comcast only offers digital at this point,
> and Time Warner is in the process of their conversion,
> which, being a top-6 MSO, is a requirement for their
> encryption of basic on a franchise by franchise basis,
> which is why the TWC roll-out is taking a bit longer than
> Comcast, who completed the digital transition previously).
>
> As of Dec 2012, there is no longer even the requirement
> to offer all the "must carry" limited basic channels on
> analog if any channels are offered on analog. It is now
> acceptable to require subscribers obtain a DTA (or
> equivalent). Ref: FCC 12-59.
>
> The schedules to complete the all digital transition is
> a business decision (which usually means when the
> MSO decides to commit to providing DTAs to those
> (often few) customers still on "limited basic" and
> using analog TV). But the writing is on the wall.

Ok; that's more informative.

But there are still lots of tuners to which I could move that support
clear-QAM, but *don't* support Cablecard, and it's that decision I'm
trying to decide how to make.  I wasn't trying to stay with analog
forever.

In fact, I'm specifically trying to *dump* analog.  I just don't
want to have to upgrade *twice*, if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14