[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 17:57:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Should we start a pool for the best guess as to when (HD) analog STB
> output will be shut off?  That seems to be the next logical step in
> this progression.

Back in May of 2010 the FCC granted a waiver(*) to allow
for the use of selectable output control (SOC) to disable
the analog output for "recent movies" (i.e. the plan by the
content owners was to release movies to the home in
some cases before the release to DVD or Blu Ray).

SOC is also used in some other locations (I believe
Virgin in the UK disables the analogue outputs in at
least some cases).

Gary

(*) Ref: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-795A1.pdf