[mythtv-users] Cablecos and QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 17:36:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should WOW decide, at some point, to encrypt, as a
> smaller MSO, they may be exempt from the "free"
> equipment requirements.  Depends on whether WOW has
> gotten too big.

btw, from a MSO corporate expense point of view, encrypting
basic has some compelling arguments in its favor over the
longer term(*), although it does have some substantial up-front
costs depending on one's particular existing infrastructure.
That is why (a) smaller MSOs are exempt from the "free"
equipment requirement, and (b) some MSOs are going
to wait until they upgrade their head-end equipment in the
normal upgrade cycle to support IPv6 (I mean, to support
encryption of Basic :-)(*).

Gary

(*) Only from a corporate expense/revenue perspective,
not from a consumer perspective.  However, the ability
to market non-encryption to the consumer is not at all
obvious.

(**) That is a joke that Jay will understand.