[mythtv-users] Splitting movies from TV series

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 20 03:41:06 UTC 2013

On 11/19/2013 10:30 PM, John Finlay wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 9:18 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> For years I had a single videos folder, containing subfolders like
>> Actions, Romance, Family, Cartoons and ... TV
>>
>> And the videos storage group was linked to that single folder.
>>
>> the actual directory structure actually being:
>> /data/videos
>> /data/recordings
>> /data/images
>> /data/music
>> /data/photos
>>
>> This suited me fine.
>>
>> I want to change it however so the actual directory structure is like
>> so:
>> /data/videos/movies
>> /data/videos/TV
>> /data/videos/recordings
>> /data/images
>> /data/music
>> /data/photos
>>
>> (reason for this is that I'm migrating all my files to a ZFS NAS
>> server which will be mounted via NFS)
>>
>> So when I go into the mythvideo I get to choose immediately between
>> movies and TV
>>
>> So I modified the videos storage group so it would have a link to
>> /data/videos/movies and to /data/videos/TV
>>
>> Problem with this setup is that the content of TV and movies are
>> merged into a single content, which makes it very impractical to
>> navigate.
>>
>> Obviously, I could have changed my SG to point to /data/videos itself;
>> but then it shows the "recording" folder which I don't want to see
>> there.
>>
>> So is there a way to have the directory structure describe above, that
>> will present me separately the TV and movie folder?
>>
>> Thanks
>> JY
> How about:
>
> /data/videos/videos/movies
> /data/videos/videos/TV
>
> with the SG pointing to /data/videos/videos

Yeah, AIUI, you'll need something like the above.  The root of any
Videos Storage Group directory structure is treated as equivalent to all
other roots, and only the subdirectories are used for
classification/organization.  This way, users who have multiple
directories to allow using more storage than is available in a given
file system with Video Library don't have "artificial" structures in
Video Library due to the use of multiple file systems.

So, the only way to organize Video Library content is to do so with
subdirectories under the Videos Storage Group directories (and not the
Videos Storage Group directories themselves).  (OK, either there's no
good, clear way to say what I'm trying to say or I'm too tired and
probably shouldn't post, but I hope this post helps--even if it's not
the clearest way of describing the why/how behind the design.)

Mike