[mythtv-users] Jerky video

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon Nov 18 16:34:16 UTC 2013

On 11/17/2013 01:19 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> hit <M> for playback menu then select "Playback" --> "Playback Data"

Wow!  Thanks for making me feel really stupid!  Some really good info there.

While playing back one of the shows I notice the problem on, video is
1920x1080 at 29.97fps.  During simple playback (steady scene), FPS is
really close to 30.  When the scene changes or pans, it drops as low as
22 fps, then recovers.  Is that normal?  No such variance on 720p (stays
within 1 fps of the 59.97).  On a different 1080i show (from the same
channel as the problem 1080i show), I don't notice the problem and it
stays much closer to 30.  I had to watch for a while just to see it drop
to 28 and, unlike the problem show, it compensates by briefly jumping up
to 31.  I never saw that on the problem show.

With such variation between shows from the same channel, I'm blaming the
network.  Comcast must not be doing it since the other show from the
same channel (different timeslot) has no problem.

Again, thanks for pointing out my inability to find things that are
obvious (my wife has to help me find links on web pages all the time!).

Dave D.