[mythtv-users] mythmote Unable to Connect

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:50:58 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 08:38 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
> On 18/11/13 14:33, Karl Newman wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us
>> <mailto:leif at pihl.us>> wrote:
>>
>>     I can't get my Mythmote to work either, so I'll be watching this
>>     "stream" (for lack of a better word).
>>     LP
>>

>>     On Nov 18, 2013, at 3:13 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>>
>>      > I am trying to set up mythmote on my Android phone to connect to
>>     a frontend. I can get the remote interface to work on the by ssh
>>     using netcat localhost 6546. However, mythmote complains about an
>>     unknown host.
>>      >
>>      > The ip addresses of my frontends are allocated by my dhcp server,
>>     so I have added the server name (myth3.bantercat.co.uk
>>     <http://myth3.bantercat.co.uk>) in Mythmote's setup. Reverse lookups
>>     do work ie I can ping myth3.bantercat.co.uk
>>     <http://myth3.bantercat.co.uk> from other computers on my network
>>     and the port is not blocked by my firewall, as I can netcat
>>     myth3.bantercat.co.uk <http://myth3.bantercat.co.uk> 6546 from other
>>     computers in the network.
>>      >
>>      > Ian.
>>

>> I just installed mythmote maybe 2 weeks ago and it's working fine for
>> me. I used the IPV4 numeric address. One thing to check is to make sure
>> your phone/mobile device is on the same wifi network (I had to prevent
>> mine from connecting to my isolated "guest" network).
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> P.S. I really hope that address is firewalled from external access,
>> otherwise ill-intentioned people could wreak havoc on your myth box.
>
> Just tried using the ip address, rather than host name. Still no connection. Only one Wifi network here and no close neighbours, so I know it's
> the right one.
>
> My firewall (Shorewall) blocks all external traffic from the Internet, except selected services.

Hi,

Something similar came up on the -users channel a while ago. The problem
seemed to be with the device, as the user couldn't even use their browser
to get to the backend. e.g. from an Android browser, try:

     <yourBackendHostIP>:6544
     or
     <yourBackendHostIP>:6544/Myth/GetHostName

I know it's a different port, but just testing connectivity. If it works
from one of your other host's browser and not from the Android, that would
point to the source of the problem (and gets MythMote out of the
picture.)

And, like Karl, I use it (actually MythTV Android Frontend) and it connects
fine.

[the IRC user moved on and the Android problem wasn't resolved, sorry]

--
Bill