[mythtv-users] Australians: can you help me gather some data?

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Mon Nov 18 06:34:37 UTC 2013

Xander Victory wrote:
> On Monday, 18 November 2013 12:55 PM, Max Barry <mythtv at maxbarry.com> wrote:
>>If you won't suffer from this problem, though, it would remove a large part of
>>Shepherd's reason for being.
> Yeah this was part of my reasoning for not starting with integration. It MAY suffer from changes breaking it (minor one has happened only once since I started using it), as the DMSCC stream contains their app as well as the data; they need only change the format and the app and it could break.

Oh, that sounds a little problematic, then. Like you might start looking
at other datasources as backups, and how to push updates so users won't
need to manually fix it if the grabber breaks... and then you have Shepherd!

If you have a datasource that's totally reliable and accurate, I would
say you don't need Shepherd. You might want to plunder some Shepherd
postprocessors or something, but that's about it. If, however, you have
a regular grabber in the sense that it may break from time to time, and
it needs to be augmented with richer data for movie ratings, and
timestamps, etc, then I'd recommend looking at running it within
Shepherd, since otherwise you'll recreate 95% of what Shepherd does.
Maybe that sounds like fun and you can do a better job, but it would
still be good for your work to be available to benefit Shepherd users,
rather than being tied to a single grabber!

> On my system I use a cron job (runs as 5am, 1pm, and 7pm I think) that then passes it to mythfilldatabase --file

I get in trouble for that!

Max.