[mythtv-users] hdpvr audio question

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sun Nov 17 23:41:20 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM, glen <glenb at glenb.us> wrote:
> I use a hdpvr with a motorola dcx6200 box. it works well. i have only analog
> audio through rca cables from box to hdpvr. i would like to change it from
> ac3 to aac encoding to make transcoding easier. i set the recording profiles
> to aac, but it always records 2 channel ac3.
>
> when i test the device (after changing audio encoding to 3) with cat
> /dev/video0 > test.ts it will record aac no problem. looking in the log, i
> get this:
>
>  E SignalMonitor recorders/analogsignalmonitor.cpp:95 (VerifyHDPVRaudio)
> AnalogSigMon[6](/dev/video0): Changed audio encoding from 3 to 4
>
> which is changing the mode no matter what i set. i am on .27fixes, is there
> any way to avoid this and get the aac setting to work ?

Do you have the RCA audio input selected?  The HDPVR hardware can only
record AC3 over optical since it doesn't actually have an AC3 encoder
(it just stores the AC3 bitstream), and AC3 cannot be delivered over
RCA.

In short, it sounds like MythTV is configured to record on the optical
input (and the settop box is putting out bitstream AC3 over optical).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com