[mythtv-users] Bolstering a system for Watch TV

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 21:51:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:25:51PM -0500, Phil Bridges wrote:

>> Testing".

>> > It's a good thing it's not your decision :)
>> >
>> > It's really cool how whenever somebody has a question about LiveTV, the
>> > "you're using it wrong" crowd comes out.
>>
>>     Yeah. I think that crowd goes by another name... "the developers".
>>

> Sure, many of them don't use it regularly... there's also several
> developers who value live TV, and have put many hours in to it to make it a
> very usable feature over the last several releases.  In fact, several new
> Live TV enhancements have already been commit to master and some of them
> even backported to 0.27.  The code for Live TV is quite complex - if they
> didn't think it was worth it, it would have been ripped out years ago so
> they could focus exclusively on other stuff.
>
> In fact, a few key developers think it's silly every time this "debate"
> comes up and use it themselves - as do I.  No one is forcing you to use
> live tv, ever.  I don't know why this always turns in to something
> reminiscent of a political or religious debate.
>
> People who use TV aren't "using it wrong" - they're just "using it".  Yes,
> that may be different than the way you use it, but what good does it do to
> ridicule?  What's next, people who make phone calls on smart phones are
> "doing it wrong" because they should only use Text Messaging or Email so
> they always "time-shit" their conversations? :P

Also, just wanted to mention that I just watched Live TV for the last 2
hours as we had a a handful of tornado's come through our state as I spent
some quality time in our basement with my family while the tornado sirens
blared outside.  I figured real-time storm coverage was better than setting
up several manual recording rules on the fly for the next few hours (for
shows that were being interrupted with non-stop storm coverage for 4+ hours
now), and then watching time-shifted Doppler radar of a storm that was
moving at 50-80MPH.

I suppose there's still people that would probably suggest I was "doing it
wrong". :-/