[mythtv-users] What is Proper CableCard for new HDHomerun Prime

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 16:58:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> But my question was, are these basic channels also encrypted?  (And
> thus not available to a clear QAM tuner?)

>From the greater/long term point of view, it is moot.  TWC
are likely going to be (even if not today).  As part of TWC's
final "analog reclamation" project (where they are turning off
analog, where as before they had only reclaimed some
of the analog channels (aka PAR)) so everyone has to get a
digital box anyway), TWC is rolling out encryption of basic
(their "test bed" was apparently Maine, and they have started
roll-out in the greater NYC area (which includes parts of neighboring
states)).  While TWC claims they are encrypting basic only
in the NYC area "at this time" (they seem to be ignoring
Maine), that statement is probably self-serving, since NYC
is one of the first (major markets) where they are performing
the final stages of reclamation and encrypting basic costs
them little extra in regards to equipment roll-outs.  TWC's
schedules for roll-out of the digital reclamation and encryption
of basic is as opaque as Comcast's is/was.

Gary