[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Nov 16 19:18:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 11:19 -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Simon Waldman <lists at firecloud.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 15 November 2013 18:43, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> >>

> >> - all BD players will get their device keys revoked periodically..
> >> So when revoked you need to upgrade to the latest genuine f/w.
> >> When genuine f/w updates stop, you junk the drive or..
> >

> > *boggle*
> > Is this just something that affects use on linux (how?)?
> > Or... do consumer drives get deliberately bricked on a regular basis?!
>
> I've never had that happen.  I've had players need an update to play
> certain new discs, but never have I had a player fail to play
> something that previously worked.
>
> Eric

My warning was based purely on anecdotal evidence.

I told the OP that BD playback was a simple as "insert BD & press play".
So then a doomsday scenario warning was required to maintain
balance/temper expectations.
The means & the will are there to make this scenario commonplace.
"The bureaucracy" is probably the only thing saving the day.

@Eric
If the update was just for later AACS MKB then the old BDs would still
play. If the host cert or device keys were revoked then no BDs would
play.

If you updated the drive f/w how do you know for sure all the old BDs
would have played with previous f/w after the new BD had been
inserted ? ..