[mythtv-users] I've had a really bad moment here

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 03:33:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Stephen P. Villano
<stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/13 5:21 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:48:38 -0500
>> Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

>>> But unlikely to be relevant here.  This would have caused a failure
>>> long before Ubuntu could issue an "unable to find a medium containing
>>> a live file system" error.
>> Alright, I missed that. It means the kernel is booted but it has no
>> support for controller the optical drive is connected to. Some cheat
>> code passed to the kernel at boot time might fix it.
>>
> Thanks all.
> I found the issue. The BIOS was set for Windows, setting it to "other"
> did the trick.
> That will teach me to set BIOS without my reading glasses on!

Funnily enough I have just installed to a second hand HP server with a
64bit mythbuntu 12.04 dvd that I found in an unlabelled stack of DVDs.
Worked first time. The 32 bit one booted too, just long enough to
establish it was the 32 bit version and reboot.

Now to find that black fine tip 'sharpie' felt tipped pen so I can
label them. "Children, report here!"