[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Nov 15 18:22:09 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stephen P. Villano" <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>

> I've always said, the best editor is the one that both does the job
> and what one is most proficient with.
> For some, it's vi, for others, emacs.
> For the rest, it's nano/pico, joe, MC's editor, etc.

Bet you haven't used TECO.  :-)

No, I haven't either.

But, as it happens, it's not *quite* true that that is the best editor; it
depends a lot on what your editing tasks are: vi/vim has a much higher
power-to-weight ratio than any other editor of which I'm aware; yes, you
can probably do most of the things in emacs derivatives that you can in
vi, but the density of the commands is *much* lower: you effectively
have to "write code" to do what a vimmer can shoot out off his fingertips
at full speed.

Yes: if you don't know vim, it's not the most effective tool for you.

But the solution to that is to *learn vim, dammit*.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jr 'unabashed vi partisan since 1982' a

[ yes, 31 years ]