[mythtv-users] Antennas

Peter Jacobs jacobs.pj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:52:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Bret Clark <bac52266 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 11/15/2013 12:17 AM, DaveD wrote:
>

> I've been thinking about getting one of these
>
> http://www.smarthome.com/69123/Lava-Electronics-HD-2605-Remote-Control-HDTV-Antenna/p.aspx
> and putting it on a pole at the top of one of our trees.  Anyone ever
> tried an antenna in a tree?  Will the sway cause problems when windy?  I'm
> not worried about the mechanics or electrical details (I'm an electrical
> engineer), but I'm wondering if a moving antenna (wind sway) can lock onto
> the signal properly.
>

> I use that antenna (actually the 2608), it pulls in all of the stations I
> should get and I'm 50 miles away from the towers, but quality is
> questionable...I guess I see how well it deals with New England Ice/Snow
> this winter.  The rotor is a novelty as I discovered that once pointed to
> towers I rarely use it, not to mention it's difficult to know where your
> antenna is pointed since the control box provides no directional feedback.
> If the Lava antenna doesn't survive a New England winter, I'll probably go
> with a Clearsteam 2 Antenna as I've heard good reports on it.
> http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-Long-Range-Indoor-Outdoor-HDTV-antenna.html
>

> As for using it on a tree, not sure I would go that route, can you mount
> it on a roof top? Tree's will have minimal affect on the signals coming
> through them.

I've mounted antennas in and on the top of trees, with good results.
 Unless the tree is really spindly, the directional stability won't be an
issue.  The beamwidth of even the most directional antenna is not that
narrow.  More important is proper grounding,  And remember that the tree
will continue to grow, you should top it and will have to trim it
occasionally.

--
Peter Jacobs, PE
Wisconsin